Friday, July 13, 2012

Limbo

This is what my life looks like lately:

June 29: Drive from Chicago to PA
June 30: Pick up Kendall in NYC, drive to Cape Cod to see Mark in Gilbert & Sullivan's Ruddigore at College Light Opera Company
July 1: Enjoy Cape Cod, back to NYC
July 2: NYC with Kendall
July 3: Drive back to NC with dad
July 4-8: Durham
July 8-15: Atlantic Beach with Chris' family (I am here now).
July 15-20: Durham
July 20: Winston Salem with Anna and Kevin!
July 21-22: Boone
July 23-27: Asheville
July 28-August 4: Yellowstone with the Adams family

This is a loooong vacation! I am enjoying it, for the most part. It's a strange feeling not working - I wasn't expecting that.

So much of my identity is put in to my work. I am a music therapist. I work with people with disabilities. I work for a great company I believe in.

But now... who am I?

It's silly. I'm still a music therapist. I'm just on a crazy journey to Latin America with some detours along the way. In the back of my head I keep thinking, "did I make the right choice?" I miss Lifeworks, I miss Minnesota, I miss my community. But more than anything I miss feeling grounded and having a home.

It's good to have times like this, where we don't have our comforts to cling to anymore. They challenge us, make us think about what is important.

Right now, I have my sweet family (in-laws included!), sand beneath my feet, sleep, and Chris. I am so lucky to have a partner to share this journey with.

Here in this present moment, this present day, I am grateful. I am filled with breath and life and that is enough.

2 comments:

  1. We can't WAIT to see you two next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got a chance to read your posts! I'm glad you're getting some time to just be. I think we could all use some more of that,so enjoy every minute of it! You deserve it. I definitely know what you mean about those big, life changing decisions, too, especially when you've made the decision but aren't yet able to act on it! Oh, well. You'll soon realize for sure you made the right choice. Until then, enjoy Atlantic Beach!
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete