Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mount Pisgah

Yesterday I gave myself the afternoon off.

I often ask myself, what is my vocation? What am I meant to do with this time that I have? 

Lately, my vocation has been visiting with fantastic people from different chapters of my life. It has been fun, thinking back on memories, making new ones, and eating a ridiculous amount of good food. 

Without time to recharge, it is difficult to be present with others. Chris and I have been together all day almost every day since June 9 when we left Minnesota. As I told Chris earlier today, "I miss missing you". 

On my afternoon off, I did some necessary internet errands (isn't it funny that the internet has become work?) It is satisfying closing accounts and wrapping up loose ends. 

I decided I needed to walk, somewhere green with a beautiful view at the top. I googled some hiking trails, then got in my car. Before I knew it I had turned the wrong way. (I joke with friends that I am one of the only people who can get lost on the Blue Ridge Parkway).

I ended up at Mount Pisgah, and began to walk. I was worried about getting back in time for the family barbeque, so I hiked fast and with purpose. The hike was steep at times, up and up. I was huffing and puffing. I had to get to the top.

I arrived red in the face and breathing deeply. I took a quick look around, took some photos, and skipped back down the mountain. I'm sure the top of Mount Pisgah was nice.

On the way down I came up on a couple walking slowly and with intention. "Excuse me, I have to get to the barbeque," I said. They laughed and asked the address so they could join later.

Then the rain began, slow at first. I didn't mind - I had a destination to get to. Before I knew it, the rain was coming down like a blanket over me. I was drenched. 

I stopped for a minute. I looked around, I saw the forest soaking up the water falling from the sky. I saw myself from the clouds, small and covered with rain. I was alive.

I made it to the car, and to the barbeque. I laughed at myself and my rushed pace. Why was I in such a hurry? Why did I have to make it to the very top of the mountain? There was a beautiful view about halfway up, with time for lingering.

Our time here in North Carolina has been beautiful. It's really hard to believe - we've been in Durham, Chapel Hill, Atlantic Beach, New Bern, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, Asheville and Boone - all in one month!

Maybe next time, I will walk up the mountain and stay for a while.

This is a lesson that I will learn over and over again. I may never get it right, but I will try every day to be present.

Smile, breathe, and go slowly.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment