Sunday, November 30, 2014

Privilegio

I have to admit, I am new to the words "white privilege". My first instinct? No, that's not me. I'm just your average white girl. I don't know about privilege. I'm not rich in education, advantage in American society, safety on the streets, a safe home, and an overall oppression-free life...

Oh, wait. Maybe I do have some privilege. And the truth is, I am grateful for the opportunities I have had. I believe everyone deserves to have an education, a career, and a safe home. A life without fear. 

Since Michael Brown's death, there has been a new mantra in America: "black lives matter". Some people have argued, "wait, but don't ALL lives matter?!" Well of course they do, and that's the point. Black lives matter, but white lives are valued more by our legal system, education system, employers, and government. 

We are talking about years, and years, and years... of oppression. Of lynchings, and now shootings. A study recently showed that a black person was shot two times a WEEK from 2005 to 2012.

This is the kind of thing I as a white person am trying, to begin, to understand. But never fully will.

I don't know what it's like to walk down the street and be profiled because of my race. Or not get a job because of the color of my skin. Or worry about my son going out to play with a toy gun because he could get shot by a police officer. Or be forced to immigrate to another country because there is no work and my children are starving.

We make assumptions about people all the time. I'm just going to go ahead and say it, everyone's a little bit racist. Our implicit biases are there, and it's up to us to become aware of them, and strive to change not only our actions but also our thought patterns.

Now, this conversation still makes me uncomfortable. I am working to change that, too. In the meantime, my goal is to be intentional. Racism does exist. We are NOT colorblind, because if we were, there would be justice and equality in our country. There would be people of all backgrounds hanging out at the local bar laughing and getting along. Instead, we self-segregate and do not seek opportunities to build relationships with people who look different from us.  

I am not trying to guilt anyone. Guilt, it turns out, is the opposite of productive. I'm talking about awareness. Waking up... and working together! 

"It is up to us to get busy, it is up to us to take responsibility. Not because we are guilty, but because we are here."
-Tim Wise


No comments:

Post a Comment