Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Aliad@s

On September 29, I officiated my first wedding for Allie and Shannon. It was a true honor. Not only was it an honor because it was for two people I love, but also because those two people happen to be two women in love. 

On November 8, two of my dear friends Preston and Michael finally tied the knot. I had asked them a couple of years ago why they didn't get married in D.C. or somewhere where gay marriage was legal. They answered, "we want to get married in our state." I remember thinking that could take a long time. Yet, here we are.

This year has been an incredible one for marriage equality. 

The day after gay marriage was legalized in North Carolina, I remember waking up and expecting the world to look different. Funny enough, everything looked the same. 

I still can't get over the fact that this decision is happening on a state-by-state basis. Marriage, to me, is a promise between two people that no government should be allowed to define.

In grew up in a liberal Baptist church. Watts Street is an amazing place. I was always free to question my beliefs and choose my own path. I remember there always being gay members in the church, many of whom were leaders. However, it took some time for Watts Street to officially become a "welcoming and affirming" congregation. I remember some members saying, "we don't need a sign out front saying that we're welcoming and affirming, we already are".

But that is just it. As individuals, we may think of ourselves as allies to gay, lesbians, bisexual and transgender people. Until there is true equality in all senses of the word, we do need the sign out front. We can't assume that everyone knows we are welcoming. 

We need to greet all people with open arms, and to welcome them out loud. To be advocates, and friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment