Friday, September 28, 2012

La Pared

A lot has happened since I last wrote! The good news is, things are picking up with my work and new opportunities are arising.

Recently added:
-Music therapy group of kids with disabilities
-English class with 16(!) students, with lots of singing required for learning
-Every other week going to the countryside to accompany a physical therapist and special educator, working with kids with disabilities

Going to add this month:
-Yoga class every Tuesday afternoon
-Music classes in a small school in the countryside (El Bario)

It has been a slow process setting up my schedule, but looking back I'm glad it has been slow. When you are teaching in your second language it takes twice as long to prepare! Creativity takes a little more effort, but it is possible.

Chris has something like 25 piano students? It's been amazing how popular the piano is here. There aren't pianos for furniture like we have in the states, so kids and adults are really excited for the opporunity. There is a long list of people waiting for lessons!

--

And then there is life outside of work. People here don't really "go out" so often. They do, however, love to sit and be, sit and visit, sit and watch television. It is a lot of sitting.

As we walk back to our apartment in the afternoon, we pass the same wonderful faces, sitting and relaxing, or standing at their doorway to watch the people. We are still moving fast, not used to sitting in the afternoons just yet.

Every afternoon there are 2 men, Roman and Jesus, sitting in our doorway. That's right, in our doorway. It is the perfect height for sitting. They always greet us, move out of the way, and then resume their afternoon of sitting. I can smell the cigarette smoke coming through our doorway.

I want to sit with them, but still I feel the need to go inside my own home, for my life to be private. One day I may forget about my walls. They will come down slowly, with time and openness.

Speaking of walls, I want to tell you about our dear friend Melina. She is an artist who lived here in Suchitoto for a month and volunteered at the Arts Center. In some of our most lonely days she was there, helping us to laugh and keeping us company. I am so grateful for her friendship. I think we learned a lot from each other.

She left her mark, that is for sure! Our walls are much more colorful now.

This is my hope
To live with lightness
As a feather floating in the breeze
And when the Serious takes hold of my heart
I will remember to breathe
And dance in the newness
That is the morning.













1 comment:

  1. I am finally caught up on your blog! So glad to hear that you are finding your way there. It certainly does take some time to understand what a community really needs and how you can your talents to help them. I'm so proud of you! Oh, and the art work on your walls is beautiful!
    Love you,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete