Tuesday, September 4, 2012

En Realidad

I showed up this morning excited for my "Musica y Canto" class. "No hay nadie," she said. It is harder to get kids to talleres in the morning, they aren't as motivated. My heart sank a little bit.

My computer class this afternoon has 9 people in it. It will be 2 hours, regarding the basic basics of computers. How to turn it on, how to open a program, how to type, how to use Microsoft Word, etc. I am nervous about my Spanish skills regarding computer terms... but it will come.

Here is our horario, in case you're interested:

Jenna
Martes - 9:00 Music and Singing, 1:30 Computer
Miercoles - 9:00 Song writing, 2:00 Photography
Jueves - 1:30 Computer
Viernes - Music in the small towns
Sabado - Skateboard supervising, assist with choir

Chris
Martes - 9:00 Drums, 2:00 Piano Lessons
Miercoles - 1:30 Computer
Jueves - 2:00 Piano Lessons
Viernes - Music in the small towns
Sabado - Skateboard supervising, piano lessons

Chris has a long waiting list for piano lessons, so I might teach some students as well. In reality, the things that I most want to teach (singing, music) may not be the most popular or most needed right now. People want to take English and computers, and for good reason.

This is different from a job, where our roles are clear. Chris and I are here at the Arts Center to fill a need. There are currently two other volunteers here, but both of them are short-term. Last year the Arts Center had 6 volunteers. So, we are providing the "meat" of the programming!

Ah, structure. One of the things I love most in life. It is important for all of us, especially children, to have structure in their day. I hope the things we teach provide meaning. I hope the things the children teach us help us grow. I hope.

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.


A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.


Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.


The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.


Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.



-- Jelaluddin Rumi

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful to finally read your blog Jenna! I couldn't bring myself to read it before this, it was too hard to think about Chris and you so far away from Minneapolis and my life.

    Your writings and photos are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to share these things. You both are amazing for undertaking such a prolonged adventurous journey into the depths of the unknown and thus changing your lives forever. I don't know how either of you could become more wonderful than you already are but I am sure the next 2 years will be tough, dirty, messy, transforming magic.

    I can't wait to come visit! Chris - any further info on when is good, and if I will indeed teach jewelry?

    You are both in my thoughts and heart daily.

    Much affection,
    Alliebeth

    ReplyDelete