Monday, January 21, 2013

Patinaje

I am a music therapist. I have a college degree, and experience in a variety of healthcare settings. 

Today, however, I am a supervisor at skateboard park. I have to ensure that every child is wearing a helmet, wristguards, kneepads and elbowpads.

I will admit, at first I didn't want to supervise skateboard park. I wanted to use my skills, to teach something meaningful. As time has gone on, I have realized that my supervising skateboard park is one of the most important things I am doing at Centro Arte.

I like sitting on the bench and watching the kids skateboard down the ramp. They yell "Jenna! Mira" looking for affirmation. They are so proud of the things they can do on the skateboards. Affirmation is not always something that the children here recieve at home, and it is something that I can give.

One day, while sitting on the bench admiring the kids skateboarding, I started talking to a 10 year old boy. "We have a lot of stress in our house," he said. His brother is missing, the police are not sure where he is. He left for Soyapango and never came back. In El Salvador, this usually means either he joined a gang or was killed by one. His mother is dating a man in a gang, so he lives with his dad. They might move to the United States, it would be safer.

I listened, trying to understand the complexity of his situation. I felt grateful that he trusted in me, and that Centro Arte can be a safe place for him to go.

The other day two boys began pushing one another. "I want the scooter!" they shouted. I came over and the pushing stopped. I talked to each of the boys separately. "This is Centro Arte para la Paz, here we use words to communicate, not violence". Each of the boys swore it wasn't their fault. "When you want something, ask nicely for it. If someone pushes you, say NO and walk away." 

These children live in an area of Suchitoto known for gang violence. It is not safe to walk around at night. Who knows, that may have been the first time an adult had told them that there is an alternative to violence. 

At the end, they shook hands and said sorry. "Viva la paz!" I said, and the boys continued skateboarding.

It turns out, here in skateboard park at Centro Arte para la Paz in Suchitoto, I am using my skills. I am being challenged. I am getting to know some wonderful kids who otherwise wouldn't have a place to play. 

Life is full of surprises. I am learning what is is to accompany. Not to feel superior to someone, but to see them as a fellow human being on the road. To know their story, and to have them know yours. To sit with them on the bench at skateboard park, and listen.







No comments:

Post a Comment