Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Turista

Tourists. What a funny part of our human experience.

I will admit that, when I see a tourist here with the tacky Hawaiian shirt, the giant camera, and socks up to their knees, I feel a little embarrassed. This is my culture, these are my people, and they're so awkward! I guess that means I'm awkward too.

But how beautiful to make a journey, to have the desire to learn about another culture and part of the world. El Salvador can be a dangerous place. The long civil war, the continued gang violence, petty theft. Yet people still come to learn. 

When I lived in Western North Carolina, it was always the Floridians. "Oh, those Floridians". They drove so slow through the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I had no way to pass them. But how beautiful that they wanted to see and know the mountains.

We are all tourists, even in our own hometown. Places change, new roads are built, buildings restored, gardens grown. There are always new things to see. The places we know best shine even brighter if we open our eyes.

We have a new volunteer and friend at the arts center, named Shannon. She and I were laughing that we're probably making a much bigger difference buying food and clothes here than volunteering. We are permanent tourists in Suchitoto (and that's the best kind of tourist there is)!

Chris and I went to the Ruta de Las Flores in Western El Salvador with our friends Sara and Konstantin. They are so easy to be with, like your favorite pair of shoes. Comfy to put on, fun to walk with. Haha!

I was surprised to learn that there are parts of El Salvador that are actually cold! And by cold, I mean in the 50's at night and 70's during the day. It felt like we got a little taste of fall.

The Ruta de las Flores is a row of 5 different towns in the mountains/hills. We spent the night in Apaneca, where Sara's parents live. We enjoyed a walk to a beautiful lagoon, a drive through coffee farms (including one owned by Starbucks - it's true, I saw the sign), and a fun afternoon in Ataco. 

We spent time with Sara's artistic mother and father, who are both painters. Her father is also a gastroenterologist and plays the saxophone. When he plays the saxophone, their dog Yogi also sings along. Sara helped me with some yoga poses while Konstantin taught Chris kung fu. In El Salvador.

Every time I have the opportunity to know a new place and new people, I feel the world in the mind expand. I am filled with even more wonder.


"Awaken your spirit to adventure, 
hold nothing back, learn to find ease in risk;
Soon you will be home in a new rhythm,
For your soul senses to world that awaits you."

-John O'Donohue























No comments:

Post a Comment