Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Trabajo

We have been working at Centro Arte para la Paz here in Suchitoto for almost 3 months now. The time has gone by quickly, with many ups and downs. Overall I am happy to be here. I feel useful, that I have something to share with the community here, and that they have something to share with me.

I am teaching a basic computer class for teenagers and adults that have never used a computer. They live in a community that is an hour away from the bus stop, and they come all the way to the arts center to learn. 

There is a great lack of jobs in Suchi and the surrounding communities (and in El Salvador in general). We see a lot of young people in our classes that have finished high school and do not have money or the desire to go to college. I think it's great that we can provide some continuing education, that might in some shape or form provide job opportunities in the future. 

Even if no job comes from learning how to use a computer, at the least it is an opportunity for these kids to expand their world and abilities. Learning for the sake of growth.

Also I am teaching 2 basic English classes, which have about 20 kids each. It is so rewarding for me to teach English, since I too am going through the process of learning another language. I know what the journey is like, and I know what I enjoyed about my Spanish classes at the beginning level. We use a song every week (You Are Not Alone, Stand By Me, Dancing Queen, etc). They have to fill in the blanks, or put the words in order. Then we sing the song as a group. A choir of English students - I like it!

I have a yoga class this afternoon as well. I have always loved yoga, but it was always a struggle to practice on my own time outside of class. I have to laugh, because now I am doing more yoga since it is part of my job. Life has a way of helping you move towards the things you need.

I am working with Los Angelitos providing music therapy for kids with disabilities every Thursday morning and afternoon. It is a very different experience for me to provide music therapy in another language. I am constantly learning new songs, and writing my own. My primary goals with them are to make choices and verbalize in the context of the song or activity. Most of the children with disabilities in the community cannot come to Suchitoto for classes due to lack of money or transportation, and do not have the right to go to school. I am glad to be able to provide an opportunity for them to learn and express in a different way.

Every Friday I go to El Bario, a small community down a dirt road to make music with the kindergarten class. I have to admit that has been very challenging and a bit chaotic. There are not the same expectations in the schools for discipline and structure. Kids are always wandering around the school, on break time or something, watching our music classes. It is distracting and tricky to redirect the kids every 2 minutes. We have been learning 2 songs for the kids kindergarten graduation, which is going to be really fun.

Sometimes I think this is too much variety, that I am not grounded in any one thing. Other times I think, what fun to be able to try so many different things and grow in new ways! I am trying to keep my eyes and ears open to what the community wants, and think creatively about how I might provide that at the arts center.

Chris is primarily teaching piano, using keyboards, with 3 kids at a time. He is using his excellent musical ear to write down music that the kids are excited about. He has at least 20 students, and a waiting list! In addition he has a basic computer class and the students love his goofy energy.

Finally we have patinaje (skateboarding). We just have to supervise, make sure they are wearing helmets and kneepads and such. It is a great activity for boys in the community who just need to get some energy out in a way that seems cool. One of the goals of all the programming here is to provide alternatives to violence, and I think skateboarding is a great outlet for the kids here.

The truth is, we are not changing the world or this community. This community is changing us. Our lives are not radically different, we are just living and learning alongside the people here.

"If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place."
-Margaret Mead















Also, happy birthday Chris! Turning 30 in El Salvador is the best way to turn 30.







The best part about Chris turning 30: pumpkin pie from one of our El Salvadoran friends! A little taste of fall is all we need...

2 comments:

  1. I am so SO proud of you guys! and I had totally forgotten that Chris is older than Martin (who will be happy yo hear it) - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat way to teach English! Love it! Chris's keyboard classes sound like fun, too. You guys are so freakin' awesome. :)
    - Beth

    ReplyDelete