Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Orientation

Here is a meditation song I wrote on our first day at orientation:

I want to be an empty bowl
Beside a quiet stream
You can pour water in me
To make me new and clean, make me new and clean.

We are in Chicago at Brethren Volunteer Service orientation. There are three main goals of this orientation: to mentally, physically and spiritually prepare for our volunteer project, to practice living in community, and to practice living simply.

This past week we have been living at the Brother David Darst Center for Justice & Peace, Spirituality and Education. It is a former convent, where the old walls seem to talk of peace.

At the orientation there are 6 other volunteers going to different places around the country and the world. We have an interesting group - some people straight out of high school, some just having finished college, one older adult who has been living in Africa the past 4 years, and one guy from Germany. They have each surprised me and taught me things that I was not expecting. It just goes to show - every person you meet will change you, in one way or another.

It is difficult at times, living in community. I have found I get cranky easily without space and time to myself. It has given me a new appreciation for those with disabilities who live in group homes! It is important to find ways to recharge while being with people.


For the most part I am enjoying this time. A time to reflect and learn, and laugh a lot too. Here are a couple examples of our day:

7:30AM Breakfast
8:30AM Devotion (journaling time)
9:00AM Growing Home visit (a social enterprise helping adults get back in the workforce through learning urban farming skills)
12:30PM Lunch
2:00PM Who are the Brethren?
6:00PM Dinner
7:30PM Faith Stories (we made artwork/poetry and shared our journeys)
9:00 Devotion (5 minutes of silence, a short reflection by one of the group members)

We have also had sessions on social justice, attitudes of service, working styles, and project placements. Today we are having an all-day session on "Conflict and You". It's an opportunity to look at how we relate to other people and learn strategies for conflict resolution.

In addition we have food runs and food groups. We are on a tight budget - usually $10 per meal (for 10 people). We are eating (mostly) vegeterian, but enjoying tasty meals with a lot of carbs. Mmmm carbs.

We have had volunteer work days at a few non-profits on the southside. We toured a place called Growing Home, a social enterprise that operates a few urban organic farms as a vehicle for job training, employment, and community development. We volunteered at Port Ministries, a place that provides english classes, meals and child care for families and children in poverty. Finally we worked our tails off at Su Casa, a home for homeless Latino families and a soup kitchen. I love learning about non-profits and the creative ways people find to help others in need.

Perhaps the most interesting day so far was "drop off day", a BVS tradition that started in the 50's. We went to Elgin, Illinois where the Brethren main offices are. We were not told until the afternoon that the orientation staff were going to drop us off in the middle of Elgin in pairs, with a map and a garbage bag.

Our assignment was to complete acts of service.

Hallie and I were nervous when we hopped out of the van. Would people be open to us coming into their houses to do dishes? Would we find someone who wanted to talk, or pick up trash on the side of the road? Would we be able to find our way back to the meeting place?

We stopped and asked one Latina woman if she needed help around her house. "No, gracias," she said. We asked another Latino family having a garage sale. "No, gracias". We wandered up the road in the summer heat. Lucky for us, we stumbled upon a nursing home. We talked to the recreation coordinator, who informed us it was manicure day.

Now, I have done many a manicure working at Sholom Home and it is not my strongest suit. I was asked to clean the dirt from underneath the women's nails, and I did. Volunteering is not always glamorous. I did get to play some music on the piano and sing, which was fun. The 100 year old woman with dementia knew every word to every song. Music connects people in ways nothing else can!









Tomorrow we will head to Kindy Farm, an organic farm in Indiana. We will be working on the farm, camping in a barn, and bathing via a bucket poured over our head. I look forward to seeing what new things I will learn as we continue on this journey.

I hope to be an open soul, quiet and blessed.
And I will listen as you speak,
In the silence, rest,
In the silence rest.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to share your music with the residents at the nursing home. How cool!
    - Beth

    ReplyDelete