Saturday, June 9, 2012

Goodbye for Now, Minnesota

I woke up with the sun this morning. It's hard to sleep on one's last full day in Minnesota.


I moved to Minneapolis 5 years ago with the knowledge that the Mississippi River was here and that the residents at my music therapy internship had a jug band. I did not know that negative 20 degrees is "typical January weather" or that Minnesota really does have that many lakes. I did not know that people could be so excited by a state fair and things on a stick. I did not know what going "up north" meant and how beautiful it is on the north shore. I did not know how much I would enjoy that first spring day after the winter thaw.

I have come to love this place and so many people in it!

St. Luke Presbyterian Church: Every Sunday Chris and I drive out to Wayzata, a small suburb on Lake Minnetonka. St. Luke embodies the mystery of God's goodness and grace. It has been a place for Chris and I to grow in our adult lives, to be challenged, to make music, and to cry. The strangest thing of all is that the pastor, Gwin Pratt and his wife AJ are two of my mom's best friends. The Pratt's moved up to Minnesota just a month after I did, and it has been so good to have family here in Minnesota. We were commissioned as "missionaries for peace" at St. Luke just a few weeks ago, which was an experience very similar to our wedding. We felt both celebrated and supported. We are excited to stay connected to our church community.


Here a song that I wrote about my faith here (performed during worship at St. Luke, Chris on drums)

Minneapolis YWCA: This was the place where I learned to exercise. I have never been much of a gym person, but at the YW I felt safe to try new things. Plus, it's just more fun to do Zumba when you're surrounded with women from all over the world.


Minnehaha Parkway: I love to walk. It connects me to the earth and to myself. The Minnehaha Parkway and I have many good memories together. I love that Minneapolis has so much green space - it is easy to "get away" from the city life.


5521: We have lived in our apartment off of Diamond Lake and Nicollet for 3 years. We will miss the beautiful back yard with the bar, the built in bookshelves, and of course our upstairs neighbors who helped us learn Spanish!

Books n' Brews: My book club. Few of us truly read the book, but we always have wonderful discussions. Sometimes we also have Dilly Bars.

Butter Bakery Cafe: I write my own music, as does Chris and it has been great to have a place to share it. They are moving to Nicollet and 37th, and I can't wait to see their new digs! Dan Swenson-Klatt is one of those business owners that you can feel great supporting :)

Twin Cities Ultimate League: I am really not good at frisbee, but this has been a fun group to be a part of. Plus, they go to a bar named Biff's every Tuesday all summer long! There's nothing better.
La Conexion de las Americas: This is the school where we have been studying Spanish. Taught by native speakers with lots of laughter, it has been a supportive place which helped shape our journey to El Salvador. I am so sad that the non-profit is closing, but grateful for our time there.

Juicy Lucys: Good gravy these are delicious. I will miss you.

I am also so grateful for University Good Samaritan Speciality Center, where I did my internship. They did indeed have a jug band, along with so many other creative programs. I had the privelege of writing songs with a woman with Huntington's disease. I still think of her, and admire her courage.

We also had monthly jam sessions, like the picture here:


And then there was Sholom Home, where I started a music therapy program and worked for their hospice. What a joy to learn about the Jewish culture. I still love Jewish music, and miss singing it. Yiddishe Mama, Oyfn Pipeschick, Hava Nagila...

Lifeworks is a difficult place to leave. I wish I had 10 more years to spend with you! To any clients or staff reading this, you are lucky to be a part of such a great community! I am excited to hear how Lifeworks grows and changes in the future, please keep me updated.

Here is a picture of a few of the members of AT band:


Chris just came over and gave me a sweet hug. It's time to pack our cars, and get ready to go.
Thanks, Minnesota for all these things and so many more. I am lucky to have so much to be sad about! Goodbye for now :)

NOTE: In the time it took me to write this blog, Chris packed my car to the brim. He is a good man (and those are hard to find).


2 comments: