Thursday, July 25, 2013

Aniversario de Suchitoto

I have been a true blog slacker lately, I apologize. Before July 4, I was really busy working, and enjoying friends, and eating pupusas. July 4 my fever started, and sore throat. I have been sick for almost 3 weeks now -- tired, headaches, sweats. I finally feel better. At the end of the day, I think it was just a weird virus. But, it could have been mononucleosis (the weirdest virus). All the exams I took came out negative. Sometimes we don't get to have an answer.

I was able to enjoy a little bit of the anniversary celebrations here in Suchitoto. There was a long parade through the plaza, featuring every school from every community near Suchi, as well as various other groups. It consisted of a lot of marching band music and banners. I've come to love the parades here, especially since now I know some of the people in them!

The choir had their first concert outside of Centro Arte, in front of city hall. I felt so proud of them, and all the students and teachers of the arts center. The harpists and guitarists played. The folklore dance group danced, the modern dance group broke it down, and the choir sang Waka Waka with gusto! It was neat to see how many students are participating in these workshops, and how much they have learned...

I was sick during the visit of our friends Ana and Jose from Spain. They are working with an organization from Spain that funds small projects around El Salvador. One of the fun things about Suchitoto is the people that pass through doing various volunteer and service work. We have built a sweet friendship with them, and hope to go to Spain and visit one day!

 
 

We are headed to the states for another visit. Every 3 months we have to leave the country for our tourist visa, so we are taking advantage of the opportunity. We will also spend 1 week in Antigua for our Brethren Volunteer Service retreat as well. 

While I am so excited to see my family, I am also sad to leave Suchi and the community we have here. I guess that's a sign of a place really feeling like home.





























No comments:

Post a Comment