Thursday, March 14, 2013

Postura del Nino

When I arrived at Centro Arte para la Paz, I knew that I was interested in teaching English and music. I knew that I knew those things well, that I could teach and be good at it.

Then I was asked to teach yoga. Now, I have done yoga on and off for about 5 years. I cannot  say that I am advanced, nor graceful. I do enjoy it, and it helps me center myself. 

In Minneapolis I participated in a wonderful yoga class with Nancy Boler at the YWCA. She was the perfect teacher. The class was rich with both yoga postures and meditation lessons. I would usually go to class, but sometimes I wouldn't. 

I've always wanted to be more dedicated and really learn yoga well. Now, I teach it twice a week... in Spanish.

I will admit the first class was terrifying. I forgot how to say neck. I tried three times to pronounce "preocupaciones" to no avail. I almost fell over during the tree pose. 

Now, I feel fairly comfortable teaching, and I am able to relax and also participate in the yoga. I just have to speak what I am doing out loud, and the group follows along.

Two sweet friends from England attend these days, as well as a few women from the city hall. We have had classes as big as 20, and classes as small as 2. No matter what, the yoga must go on.

Although Suchitoto is a calm and quiet town, that calm can turn to restlessness. It is easy to feel bored instead of tranquil, angry with the heat and the slowness. Yoga helps me appreciate the quiet.

Every class I face towards a beautiful painting of Oscar Romero, painted by a friend and former volunteer Melina Ramirez. His face is so kind, full of tenderness. It reminds me to be tender, too. Every Tuesday and Thursday at 4:30, I reconnect with myself, and share that peace with others.


"We have to continue to learn. We have to be open. We have to be ready to release our knowledge in order to come to a higher understanding of our reality"
-Thich Nhat Hanh





1 comment:

  1. I do yoga from a dvd set I bought at le Tarje... This looks much more motivating and inspiring. Way to go, Jenna :)
    -C Dub

    ReplyDelete