Friday, December 7, 2012

Cambios Sostenibles

El Salvador has its share of social and economic issues. Gang violence, domestic violence, lack of jobs, lack of education. School is 4 hours a day and many children drop out because they have to work. There are many children and adults that cannot read or write.

Here we are volunteering, ready to help. Are we going to fix all these problems? Certainly not. I believe change comes from the will of the people, and leadership from within the community.

Yet here we are, white people ready to save the world.

Isn't it a little bit pretentious? We are lucky enough to have had a college education, but that does not make us any better than the El Salvadoran man working in the corn field 12 hours a day to feed his family. I imagine he has wisdom and strength that I will never have.

We are here to serve, and to be served. More than anything though, we are here to learn. 
 
I talked to a woman recently who was asking about our work here. She was impressed by our 2 year committment. We were telling her about the different classes we are teaching. "But really, you'll do something bigger in 2 years. Something more than a choir".

More than a choir? 

Actually, no I don't think so. If all we do in our 2 years is provide opportunities for young people to sing and make music, that will be wonderful. 

When I was growing up I was in a choir from age 5. I loved to sing in the shower, in the car, walking with my parents holding their hands. Music makes life richer, and more full of joy. These children do not have arts in the schools. Many of them have to help with chores around the house, and they don't have much time to be kids. Centro Arte is a place where they can learn and play! I like being a part of that.

I heard about a woman who enjoys going on mission trips to spread the gospel. When asked if she was going to build houses, she responded, "they need Jesus more". 

With all due respect to her mission trip, I think she missed the point.

Last weekend, we went to a celebration lunch of a friend of a friend. She lives outside of San Salvador in a house with a tin roof and 2 tiny rooms. There were 3 beds crammed in one room, where 6 people sleep. This family did not know us, but they welcomed us just the same. We had a delicious lunch of bean soup and tortillas. We ate the fruit from their fruit trees. We enjoyed the cool afternoon breeze and laughed together.

Thank you for being Christ to me. Thank you for showing me what it is to be generous and love with open arms.

"To defend the cause of the poor and the needy,
Is this not what it means to know God?" 
-Jeremiah 22

2 comments:

  1. About that last part, I wholeheartedly AGREE with you. I have learned more about faith and God and what it means to be Christ for others in these last 2 years in El Salvador than any other moment in my life. Thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that means that people have overwhelmingly been Christ for me as well.

    ReplyDelete